Hand Dyed Yarn
|December 26, 2014||Posted by Emily under dying, Emily's 2014 Projects, Yarn|
Back in October I attempted to dye two more skeins of yarn. Hand dyed yarn is hit or miss with me. Either it is spectacular or it’s downright ugly. Both of my skeins turned out pretty ugly. One I redyed right away and the other I let sit hoping I would come to like it.
These were both first dyed using Wilton dyes. The first one started out being red and orange with a touch of yellow. It was gawdy bright and not in the way I like. So much so I don’t even have a before picture. There was a lot of orange, and it was around Halloween so I thought I’d try to make a halloween yarn. I had some black dye in a packet (it wasn’t RIT), so I mixed some of it in a cup to try to overdye some of the sections. The black bled to the colors more than I thought it would, and I kind of figured I had ruined the yarn. I steamed it for 20 minutes anyhow then dumped it in the sink. The black dye ran and ran as I rinsed it. Once I had it to the point the water was running clear it wasn’t black any longer. The black had turned to purple and teal and some of the red, orange, and yellow had kept their original colors. It’s actually quite a pretty yarn now. It reminds me a lot of some of the Creatively Dyed Yarns that used to be available. I’m happy with this one and it will probably be the next sock I cast on once I have some free needles (…or I could just order more needles…).
The second skein I had the idea of doing greens and browns with a forest type feel. Oh how I failed. See that? Horrible. The greens were too neon, the browns were too orange. I had it sitting in the dining room for awhile and finally put it away so I didn’t have to look at it.
I really didn’t know if that could be fixed because the colors were so odd, but I bought a bottle of purple RIT dye (I’d never tried the liquid before). I put some in the pot I use for dying with water while I soaked the yarn in a water/vinegar mixture. I dropped it in and let it simmer for twenty minutes. The result was better than I’d hoped for.
The result is different shades of a purple ranging from dark purple to a muddy purple. There are also flashes of green where the yarn was tied. I like it in the skein, the green could make the knitted result good or bad. We’ll see when I cast it on.
These were both Knit Picks Bare Stroll skeins which I really like. They get fuzzy after you wash them, but they’re super soft and I’ve not yet had to mend a pair of socks from that base-whether I dyed it or bought it pre-dyed.
If you’ve been afraid of dying yarn you should really give it a try. Even if you end up with something you don’t care for, it’s normally able to be fixed.